HomeBrew Competition No Entry Fee!
Winners Announced on the Main Stage at Das Best Oktoberfest, October 13th at M&T Bank Stadium!
1st Place: $500 // 2nd Place $250 // 3rd Place $100
1st, 2nd and 3rd places also being awarded $100 in merchandise from Maryland Homebrew!
1. What kind of bottles are required? Every bottle must be 10 to 14 ounces in volume, brown or green glass, and be free of raised-glass or inked brand-name lettering and paper labels. Raised “No Deposit” or bottle manufacturing codes (e.g. p m 00 H 4328) are acceptable. Obliterate any lettering or graphics on the cap with a permanent black marker. Bottles with Grolsch-type swing tops are not allowed. Corked bottles meeting the above restrictions are acceptable; however, you must crimp a crown cap over the cork. Bottles not meeting these requirements will be disqualified.
2. How many bottles do I need? Send three (3) bottles for EACH beer entry competing. Limit is TWO entries per brewer or household.
3. What are the entry fees? There are no entry fees.
4. When are the entry deadlines? Entries must be received at designated site by between Friday 9/14/18 and Friday 9/21/18.
5. Which category do I enter? It is entirely your decision, however, your entry will not be disqualified if it falls outside of a category’s parameters– the descriptions are guidelines to help you enter your beer.
6. Are there entry limitations?
(a) Your homebrew must not have been brewed at any place that brews beverages for any commercial purpose, whether for commercial research, production or any other purpose, including brew-on-premise establishments.
(b) You must give the names of all brewers who helped in the brewing.
How do I enter?
(a) For each entry, fill out an entry form in its entirety. For more than one entry, please make copies of the entry form.
(b) Fold and rubber band each entry form to each bottle. Your entry will be disqualified if you use glue or tape to secure the form to the bottle.
(c) Judging will take place prior to the main event on October 13, 2018 at M&T Bank Stadium in Baltimore, MD.
(d) All submissions must be hand-delivered or shipped to one of the following drop-off locations between the entry dates listed above.
Sites cannot acknowledge receipt of entries – arrange for a return receipt with your shipping company if you wish to confirm delivery of your package. Packages with postage due or C.O.D. charges will be returned to sender.
Maryland Homebrew 6770 Oak Hall Lane, Suite 108, Columbia, MD 21045
410-290-3768 // www.mdhb.com
Mon 10:00am - 6:00pm
Wed 10:00am - 6:00pm
Thu 10:00am - 8:00pm
Fri 10:00am - 6:00pm
Sat 10:00am - 6:00pm
Sun 12:00pm - 5:00pm
BC Brewery 10951 Gilroy Road, Hunt Valley, MD 21031
443-318-4867 // www.BcBreweryMD.com
Wed 11:30am - 1:00pm & 4:00pm - 10:00pm
Thurs 11:30am - 1:00pm & 4:00pm - 10:00pm
Fri 11:30am - 10:00pm
Sat 12:00pm - 10:00pm
Sun 12:00pm - 5:00pm
THE FINE PRINT:
This competition is open to all home brewers. Judges may not judge a category they have entered. It is the sole responsibility of the entrant to complete all registration and recipe forms and designate the category and subcategory in which he/she wishes his/her entry to be judged. Under no circumstances will registrars, judges or directors categorize entries.
B. Awards and Prizes
(a) For the overall best brews, prizes are as follows; 1st Place: $500; 2nd Place $250; 3rd Place $100, with 1st, 2nd and 3rd places also being awarded $100 in merchandise from Maryland Homebrew.
(b). You must be present at the awards ceremony on October 14, 2017 at 2:30pm at the Main Stage to win. At this time, the winners will be awarded with a trophy prize and their picture will be taken for the website. The monetary prize will be mailed to the recipient within 15 business days after the Das Best Oktoberfest.
(a) Homebrews will be judged by representatives of Brewtherville Labs Homebrew Club, Maryland Homebrew and Freestate Homebrew Guild. This is not a BCJP-judged event.
(b) Homebrews will be judged based upon Aroma, Appearance, Flavor, Mouthfeel and Overall Impression. As a "hedonistic-style" judging competition, limited feedback from judges will be offered.
(c) Judging of all beer entries will be done in a closed session.
(a) At the discretion of Brewtherville Labs Homebrew Club, Maryland Homebrew and/or Freestate Homebrewers Club Guild, entries will be disqualified for eligibility or entry requirement infractions.
E. Packing and Shipping Hints
(a) If shipping your entries, carefully place them in a sturdy box. Line the inside of your carton with a plastic trash bag. Partition and pack each bottle with adequate packaging material. Do not over pack! Write clearly: “Fragile. This Side Up.” on the package. Every reasonable effort will be made to contact entrants whose bottles have broken to make arrangements for sending replacement bottles. Please refrain from using packing “peanuts” if possible. Use bubble wrap or newspaper instead.
(b) It is not against any Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms regulations or federal laws to ship your entries via a privately owned shipping company for analytical purposes. However, it is illegal to ship alcoholic beverages via the U.S. Postal Service. Private shipping companies may refuse your shipment if they are informed that the package contains glass or alcoholic beverages